Friday, October 17, 2014

The Still Small Voice On the Other Side of My Property Line Part 2


Someone else may be depending on us getting things together on the inside of our own property line…Do we belong to God and have a fence that includes Him on His own property (us) or is He limited to access just beyond our fence, as if we are telling Him He can come this far and no farther….Better stated in Romans 12:1 (expanded version): So [Therefore] brothers and sisters, since God has shown us great mercy, I ·beg [urge; appeal to] you to offer your ·lives [selves; L bodies] as a living sacrifice to him. Your offering must be ·only for God [holy] and pleasing to him, which is the ·spiritual [or authentic; true; or appropriate; fitting; or rational; reasonable] way for you to worship.

 

My son and I compare the still small voice to a moth, it is a picture he could relate to from a young age and there always happened to be moths on his window that we noticed in a new way after we talked about this. I taught him this was a reminder from God that He is always there speaking, regardless of how busy we are, how easy the “moth” is to miss, or whether or not it is welcome that moment.

Like the moth on my window, so gentle, not intruding into my life, not forcefully boasting what good He could do if only I would pay attention...simply ever so gentle showing up as if to say- here I am waiting. But I don't always want Him there- by my mere actions (how sad). Just not right now, too busy. Just like the moth, silently waiting- He is there while I've missed the point of what really belongs in priority in my life. The voice is gently saying what I am not ready to hear, I am too moving in my own direction to turn back now, I am on a roll after all. But when I wake up from my trip, I realize I got nowhere fast and cost myself more than I can ever get in return from the expenses I paid going my own way. His voice, it is a constant still. So true and so counted upon. He says, "you are my treasured possession", and we are to fall into His arms. He placed the fence, He cared for the land, He dug the well, He made the land what it is...how dare I try to get so busy and miss who I belong to. That trouble is open arm trouble- I cannot receive from Him if I am so full of my own stuff, my own purchases, ideas and plans. Closed heart syndrome is a hurt induced illness, it happens when I have every right to be hurt, but I take it too far. I super-size my order of guilt, hurt, offense, pain, emotion raw. Instead of walking the legitimate something that happened to me out with God, I put up my own defenses and man the guns. No one will hurt me again. My heart slowly and certainly closes off, to self-protect. Not what God designed, He wants us open to receive. Like flowers open up to the sun.

 

Plugged ears occur when the resounding themes we hear, the false and the broken cause us to shut down...or maybe we desensitize slowly again, very slowly to everything. We are to be renewed in our minds but if we cannot hear and be vulnerable to listen in response- we won't act on the right sounds. We can't respond by being humble to the Word, if we cannot hear. And so I consider the estate house on a hill I am meant to be; we are all meant to be. As a city on a hill, as a light shining uncovered. We are to be God's chosen possession for His kind purpose that leads us all to repentance, to turn our faces all over again to the Light. Therefore the property line is not my own, I didn't put up the white picket fence, I didn't maintain it, I could never count the cost of maintaining the land, however, our God did count the cost He did pay the ultimate price for the land and we are more esteemed in His sight than we can ever value ourselves. I need to move the property line out from just what I see and include the still small voice in ownership. I need to broaden my horizons and believe God still does BIG things, and it can be through me and through you, if only we act.

Psalm 62 speaks to this belonging through trust evident only through God, power only accessible in Him. The fence in this Psalm is trying to be toppled by another man, leaning and rickety it is delicate in power and easily moved. But for our God, who establishes the other more noble fence, the property line of being God’s chosen possession, where He calls us His own and protects what belongs to Him, it may not always be easy for us but His promises endure and we can trust in Him alone for our salvation, this must be a daily choice and mindset.

Psalm 62 New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 62[a]

For the director of music. For Jeduthun. A psalm of David.

Truly my soul finds rest in God;

    my salvation comes from him.

Truly he is my rock and my salvation;

    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

How long will you assault me?

    Would all of you throw me down—

    this leaning wall, this tottering fence?

Surely they intend to topple me

    from my lofty place;

    they take delight in lies.

With their mouths they bless,

    but in their hearts they curse.[b]

Yes, my soul, find rest in God;

    my hope comes from him.

Truly he is my rock and my salvation;

    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

My salvation and my honor depend on God[c];

    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Trust in him at all times, you people;

    pour out your hearts to him,

    for God is our refuge.

Surely the lowborn are but a breath,

    the highborn are but a lie.

If weighed on a balance, they are nothing;

    together they are only a breath.

10 Do not trust in extortion

    or put vain hope in stolen goods;

though your riches increase,

    do not set your heart on them.

11 One thing God has spoken,

    two things I have heard:

Power belongs to you, God,

12     and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;

and, “You reward everyone

    according to what they have done.”

Next time you see a moth on your window stop and listen, maybe it is time to slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment